The 23-year-old was left out of Ajax’s friendlies against Eintracht Frankfurt and Union Berlin, fueling speculation about his future.
The club’s head coach Erik Ten Hag then confirmed that there was a reason for this.
“There are indeed developments that keep him out of the selection,” he said.
“We will see what happens. We’ll make an announcement as soon as there’s some clarity.”
Spanish journalist Oriol Domenech, a close friend of Ajax sporting director Marc Overmars, said Van de Beek would be joining Man United.
— Oriol Domènech (@orioldomenech) August 29, 2020
United then admitted an interest to the British press, but said they were only ‘monitoring’ his situation.
Van de Beek announces move
Today, Catalan daily SPORT has information that the Dutch international has in fact announced his exit to teammates.
Van de Beek ‘will travel to Manchester next week’ to finalise his move to Old Trafford, they claim.
However, Barca can not finance the €55m fee that Ajax are asking for, leaving Koeman frustrated.
Van de Beek wanted to leave Ajax last year, but with the big money sales of Frenkie de Jong and Matthijs de Ligt, the Amsterdam club did not want to part with another of their biggest talents.
Now his future appears to be in England with Manchester United and his move could be formalised next week.
Van de Beek has made 175 appearances for the Ajax first team with a return of 41 goals and 34 assists.