21-year-old Gueye was announced by the Hornets in April in a statement saying he would join on July 1 once his Le Havre contract ended.
However, Gueye’s agent said it had been a mistake and blamed his previous representative.
“Gueye believes that [former agent] Sanogo acted in his own interest, not that of the player,” Pierre-Henri Bovis said. “Pape never chose Watford. Bakari Sanogo had spoken with Watford and negotiated the contract which was provisionally signed. That’s all!”
And the well-informed Mohammed Toubache-Ter has followed up on a report from Ouest France concerning interest from Angers.
He says the former French youth international has signed a pre-contract with Angers, adding that Watford have given their ‘ok’.
The Premier League club have set a price-tag of €5m which would give them a quick profit.
Gueye will replace highly-rated midfielder Baptiste Santamaria, who Angers are hoping to get €15m for.
Le #SCOAngers est bouillant !!!
— Mohamed TOUBACHE-TER (@MohamedTERParis) June 13, 2020